- Professional institute
- Job details
This career listing has expired.
About the job
Job Title: Events Executive
Responsible to: Events Manager
Responsible for: None
Salary: £25-27k, based on experience, with a generous employee benefits package
Base: London (with support for flexible/hybrid working)
Do you have experience working in delivering virtual and in-person events? Do you possess great organisational skills? This is a fantastic opportunity for a talented and ambitious events professional to join the Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology (IMarEST) to support the development and delivery of the Institute’s events programme across existing and emerging maritime and marine areas – all in support of our vision of a world where marine resources and activities are sustained, managed and developed for the benefit of humanity.
The IMarEST events programme includes, but is not limited to: digital, physical and hybrid international technical conferences, lectures, panel discussions, roundtables, workshops, training events, the IMarEST Annual Dinner, the IMarEST Annual Conference, the biennial European International Submarine Races, a Fellows event programme and the IMarEST Prestige Lecture Series. Much of these are broadcast or recorded for IMarEST TV, the Institute’s video content platform.
The IMarEST events programme is a key way in which we support the Institute’s charitable purposes, engage the IMarEST membership and wider audiences, and raise the profile of the Institute around the world.
During the pandemic, we have actually increased the reach, impact and revenue from our events. This role, as a key part of the Events function, will help in continuing this trend, with responsibility for the direct planning and delivery of IMarEST events, be they digital, hybrid or physical; as well as working closely the Institute’s partners, volunteers and internal teams, and other stakeholders, including supporting organisations and sponsors.
1. Event planning and logistics
- Implementation of event project plans ensuring activities are delivered on time and on budget to a high quality.
- Coordination of digital platforms for events (physical/virtual/hybrid), including registration, setting up live streams of sessions, making arrangements for international speakers to present remotely, setting up and managing virtual participation and networking.
- Support conference committees through planning meetings, and speakers from the time that they commit to speaking through to briefings and evaluating their participation.
- Support day-to-day finance processes and ensure timely payment of event suppliers.
- Liaise with IMarEST content team to ensure the timely submission, review and high-quality publication of any conference proceedings, presentations and recordings and appropriate copyright policies and procedures are in place.
- Liaise, project manage and build relationships with the venues contacts and event contractors, including exhibition builders, caterers, operations & logistics teams and AV teams in the build-up to events.
- Co-ordinate group accommodation and travel bookings.
- Attend events to ensure their smooth running, manage contractors and help with onsite queries.
- Organise the planning and delivery of event feedback surveys and thank-you letters.
2. Event marketing and sales
- Support the delivery of the marketing plan for each event ensuring effective development of marketing materials and event collateral, include speaker bios, ensuring it is produced in collaboration with partners or committees and also in line with brand and communications sign off procedures.
- Produce and deliver engaging targeted marketing communications with full compliance with GDPR regulations and following internal sign-off procedures.
- Liaison with marketing team to develop event web listings and digital channels including event apps as appropriate and ensure event web listings and digital channels are updated with relevant event information.
- Work with in-house designer to develop event collateral as appropriate, this may include; flyers, brochures, banners, onsite branding, exhibition manuals, event brochures/programme and delegate packs.
- Implement impactful contra deals with key media, industry and event supporting organisations, ensure sponsor agreements are in place and sponsors and supporting organisations’ needs are met.
3. External events
- Represent IMarEST at national and international industry events if required.
- Support the IMarEST’s annual exhibiting plan in liaison with the marketing and communications and B2B teams.
1. Awards and funding
- This role will also provide wider administrative support to the IMarEST awards portfolio including processing of applications, supporting committees in assessing submissions, working closely with Marketing & Communications team to promote the achievements of recipients, including participation in events.
2. The post holder may be required to:
- undertake additional or other duties as necessary to meet the needs of the Institute
- work remotely from home as may be necessary
- work hours which sit outside of a standard working day
- travel within the UK and internationally as part of the role
The post holder must be legally entitled to work in the UK.
As a term of your employment, you may from time to time be required to undertake additional or other duties as necessary to meet the needs of the Institute.
This job description is subject to your contract of employment which, in the event of conflict, shall take precedence. Your job description may be reviewed and amended in light of any changes to the Institute as appropriate.
The required skills, qualifications, experience or other attributes needed to carry out the role are identified below. Please be aware that your application will be measured against these criteria.
The selection panel will be looking for clear evidence and examples in your cover letter and/or CV, which support any assertions you make in relation to each of the criteria below.
Hold a relevant degree or professional experience
Knowledge and experience
- Good knowledge and understanding of organising and supporting a range of events, hospitality and visits, including facilitating digital/virtual and hybrid events.
- Awareness of event tools and techniques; particularly the use of registration systems (e.g. Eventbrite), electronic marketing, website/online, social media and creative/printing, Zoom or other online meeting platforms.
- Excellent project management, organisational and IT skills
- Time management and ability to prioritise own work in a fast-moving environment
- Ability to work within a budget
- Ability to use initiative and creativity
- Good networking and relationship building skills to work with internal and external clients
- Ability to form successful client relationships
- Detail orientated with strong administration skills
- Ability to influence staff and volunteers, who may have different priorities, to achieve common goals
- Ability to work flexibly and under own initiative to achieve objectives
How to apply
If you are interested in this role then please review the full job description and send a CV and covering letter to email@example.com by Sunday 30th January 2022. Applications must include both a CV and covering letter in order to be considered. Interviews are expected to take place during the weeks commencing 31st January and 7th February 2022.