Role Type: Permanent, Full Time
Hours: 37.5 per week
Salary: £33,000 – £36,000 dependant on experience
Closing Date: 12 noon, Friday 18 September 2020
About Open Bionics
Open Bionics Ltd is a Bristol-based company who designs, develops and manufactures bionic limbs for amputees. Our mission is to: “Create and Democratise Technology that Enhances the Human Body”. In other words, we want to make beautiful bionic limbs more accessible and to turn disabilities into superpowers! We’ve won several awards including most recently, Hanger Clinics Innovation Award for 2019. Visit our website to find out more about us: www.openbionics.com.
We are looking for a highly capable Production/Manufacturing Manager who can bring experience and expertise to our fast-growing business. The successful candidate will introduce up to date modern manufacturing methods and practices whilst continuing with proven long-standing techniques. We are looking for a careered manufacturing individual.
The Hero Arm is a high-value item with bespoke elements, requiring the nurturing of mass-custom manufacturing techniques. With ambitious growth plans, this role will enable you to grow your experience, skills and responsibilities along with the company.
Your role will be core to how Open Bionics delivers its production operations. You will be leading a talented team, initially with around six direct reports in technician and supervisor type roles.
As the Production Manager, you are ultimately responsible for the master scheduling of full in-sourcing and out-sourcing capacity/capability. Achieving metrics that demonstrate safety, quality, cost, delivery, responsiveness and productivity targets. You will work closely with Sales, Purchasing, and our Engineering teams to deploy the Sales and Operations Planning processes in order to achieve on-time delivery of customers’ requirements.
You will be expected to work with the Operations Manager to develop and implement your department’s strategic development plan.
- Lead and manage your team of supervisors and technicians to understand and achieve production goals, including growth and profitability
- Governance of master scheduling activities
- Identify and drive continuous improvement initiatives in the areas of Safety, Quality, Cost Delivery and People (SQCDP).
- Proactively manage and forecast labour and capability requirements. Maximise productivity levels through the development of line management skills, technical skills, coaching, and ensuring cross-training.
- Identify succession and skills gaps and support a recruitment programme, including Apprenticeships to secure future manufacturing skills and talent.
- Support and facilitate improvements in profit margin through the management of direct and indirect costs.
- Standardise, develop, and implement systems and processes for Operations that will eliminate waste and duplication and improve the overall business efficiency and effectiveness.
- Manage the integration of manufacturing with new technologies, people, and processes, whilst supporting cross functional business processes and activities.
- Identify opportunities to use tools such as visual management, Gemba, green belt projects, continuous improvement activities and Kaizen events and lead their introduction.
- Support Operational / Business Excellence and Cost of Poor Quality projects.
- Drive improved product quality through data capture, analysis, and effective corrective action.
- Assist the introduction of new products by proactively contributing to the NPI process to guide manufacturability, testability, and production efficiency objectives.
- Liaise with R&D to manage Pre-Production/validation builds ensuring that production line training is completed pre-launch.
- Measure and report of appropriate Production KPIs’
- Daily liaison with design department and customer-facing teams
- Supporting operational initiatives to achieve company objectives
- Work alongside purchasing to achieve continuous material presence and in-sourcing / out-sourcing balance
A successful first six months at Open Bionics would include:
- Adherence to all Production KPIs
- Implementation and deployment/adherence to departments development objectives
- Achieved measurable reduction of costs and lead times based on scalable activities
- Fully cross-trained production technician team(s)
- Achieved a high level of interdepartmental relationships
- Transition into a dependable and trusted team player
- Proven career path in manufacturing at all levels right up to full production management with experience in the production management of high-end low-volume products (and/or transferable experience from other areas eg FMCG).
- Able to deliver a high competency level of forward and reverse scheduling techniques and of demand planning within an ERP system.
- Ability to communicate precise demand requirements to direct reports, colleagues and associates.
- Proven competency in production operations development for up-scaling and optimising utilisation of resources and assets.
- Solid understanding of quality control & assurance processes, right first time practices, and meeting customer quality and delivery expectations.
- Demonstrable management skills with the ability to lead.
- Design management.
- Working knowledge of NetSuite ERP system.
- Off-shore supply chain engagement.
- Experience in managing shift work rotations of production technicians.
1) Visit https://openbionics.com/jobs/ and click on the ‘Production Manager’ link where you can follow the instructions to apply. Your application will only be received if you apply through our portal.
2) You must write a covering letter explaining why you are suitable for the role. You should address the person scorecard criteria and detail why you want to work for Open Bionics.
3) You will be asked to upload your CV which should evidence the technical aspects of your knowledge, skills and experience.
Please note that both of the above must be provided in order to be considered for the post.
Open Bionics is an Equal Opportunities employer. If you are disabled and require any reasonable adjustments, please contact james @openbionics.com.
We welcome enquiries from everyone and we value diversity in our workplace. We may operate positive action measures to encourage people from under-represented groups to apply and help them overcome disadvantages in competing with other applicants.
If you are successful, you will be expected to start within one month following the offer of an employment contract with Open Bionics Ltd and be expected to provide proof of your right to work in the UK.